The project proposes the creation of a pilot product for correlating aerial imaging and geophysical data (GPR), able to characterize with high accuracy not only the soil surface but also the subsoil, resulting in a product with wide applicability in the field of cultural heritage. Precisely correlated and mapped aerial data can be used in the investigation of extensive archaeological sites, historical monuments, civil engineering, etc.
The product is obtained by using data provided by an innovative system that incorporates two main elements: an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), with remote sensing capabilities (LIDAR, multispectral camera, thermal and high-resolution photography) and a radar system with ground penetration (GPR) improved within the project to be usable from the air. The in-situ measurements will be performed on specific cases by the kindness of some museums, associations and foundations in Romania that have already given their consent in this regard.
- 1.1 Prototype produced for correlating aerial data with online viewing capability, depending on the case.
- 1.2 Software for modifying the acquisition parameters and real-time data visualization for the GPR system and stabilized support for mounting the GPR system on the UAV.
- 1.3 Aerial overflight procedure for obtaining data (delivered by several sensors) to correlate them.
- 1.4 Project website.
- 1.5 Article BDI / ISI.
- 1.6 Process created by the validation commission based on the analysis of the demonstration data correlated in the package
- 2.1 Final product containing case studies with a specific causation.
- 2.2 Product data sheet.
- 2.3 ISI article.
- 2.4 Product presentation at a conference.
- 2.5 Patent Application.
- 2.6 Validation report prepared by the validation commission on the final product, after correlating the data purchased on site.
The results of the project will lead to the creation of a prototype for correlating aerial imaging and geophysical data (GPR), able to characterize with high accuracy not only the soil surface but also the subsoil, resulting in a product with wide applicability in the field of cultural heritage.
2020 – 2021 Stage 1: Development, design, and delivery of the correlated aerial data package for case categories; Verification of the model by simulations using demonstration data.
- 1.1 Defining input operational parameters for application categories
- 1.2. Establishing the output parameters of the product (view mode, number of layers, accuracy, export possibilities and online access) considering the case
- 1.3. Development of a pilot package using demonstration data from the INCD database and its improvement through critical analysis
- 1.4. Design and development of real-time remote viewing and control software for the GPR system and the changes required for GPR mounting on UAVs
- 1.5. Laboratory performance tests and development of general parameters for the overflight program to verify product quality
- 1.6. Dissemination of project results
2021 – 2022 Stage 2: Implementation of the product in case studies with a specific causation and its dissemination in the fields with applicability
- 2.1 In-situ data acquisition campaigns respecting the overflight procedure and the necessary parameters of the product
- 2.2. Processing and correlation of aerial data in the product, respecting the causation
- 2.3 Validation of correlated data packets obtained through case studies by an international commission using ground investigations and the applicability of the information obtained
- 2.4. Dissemination of project results